The Augustinian order has been serving Limerick city since 1633, even earlier in the county when the original monastery was in Adare. After the dissolution of the original foundation in Adare by Cromwell the Augustinians eventually moved into the city and the present church in O’Connell Street was built in 1942. The original church in the Adare foundation, sometimes known as Black Abbey is the current Anglican church for the parish of Adare.
The current Augustinian priory in O’Connell Street is to the left of the church. It was formally known as the ‘Country Club’, and came into the possession of the order in 1946. Built in 1825, the Augustinians rented the ground floor of the premises in 1897 for £2,075 from Dr Pryce Peacocke for a lease of 999 years. The Augustinians paid £15,000 for the building in 1946. The priory was officially opened on 25th May 1948.
The Augustinian community at St. Augustine’s Roman Catholic Church in O’Connell St., Limerick, Ireland are delighted to welcome you in person to our church in the heart of the city or to watch online the live streaming video service of our main Masses and events.